I recently bought Slow Cooker Revolution from the editors at America’s Test Kitchen and I keep it on my nightstand so I can peruse it for tips and good recipes before going to bed. I’ve bookmarked a bunch of recipes I want to try but the one I was most excited about was Korean-style spare ribs.
I’ve made this dish several times and it was easy-peasy and tasty. The main tweaks I made were to sub out the soy sauce with coconut aminos, the rice wine vinegar with coconut vinegar, and to leave out the tapioca. What’s cool about this recipe is that you don’t need to sear off any of the meat or carmelize any aromatics –- it’s pretty much a dump-it-in-and-forget-about-it kind of dish. That being said, when I do have the time I will char the short ribs under the broiler before throwing them in the slow cooker.
You may want to make this dish ahead of time and store it in your fridge because the short ribs release a ton of fat into the gravy, which you can easily remove when the chilled fat hardens.
Here’s what to gather to make enough tasty meat to feed 4-6 hungry adults:
- 6 pounds of bone-in English-style grass-fed short ribs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pear or Asian pear, peeled, cored, and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 hunk of ginger, about the size of your thumb, cut into two pieces
- 2 teaspoons of Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- Small handful of roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Here’s how top make it:
Preheat your broiler with the rack 6 inches from the heating element. Season the ribs liberally with salt and pepper…
…and lay the ribs, bone-side up on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Whenever I season raw meat, I set aside a small ramekin with salt and ground pepper that I use only for the raw stuff. Cross contamination can lead to some bad crap. Literally.
Broil the ribs for 5 minutes and then flip them over and broil for another 5 minutes.
Stack the ribs in a single layer in the slow cooker. I lay them on their side to cram them all in the pot.
Toss the pear, coconut aminos, garlic, scallions, ginger, fish sauce, and vinegar in a blender and puree until smooth.
Pour the sauce evenly over the ribs…
…and add the chicken broth to the pot.
Cover with the lid, set the slow cooker on low, and let the ribs stew for 9-11 hours.
When it’s time to serve the ribs, remove the meat from the slow cooker and place them on a serving platter.
Let the braising liquid settle for 5 minutes and then ladle off the fat if you wish. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and pour a cup of sauce over the ribs.
Sprinkle on the chopped cilantro and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Super tender and very tasty. The simmer sauce is subtly sweet and the coconut aminos, while not as bold-tasting as soy sauce, lend a good umami flavor to the dish.
Posted on Tuesday, 29 January
Tagged as: recipes
Reblogged from: nomnompaleo
Posted by: nomnompaleo
- juliawilcox reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- wundawomun reblogged this from nomnompaleo and added:
- wundawomun likes this
- sunyoungwrites likes this
- big-time-afro-queen likes this
- sexbob-ombbeck reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- shanabeck79 likes this
- kkdeechic likes this
- pjg116 likes this
- stephdudette likes this
- sorgykv750 likes this
- seehowitsdone likes this
- saraelenas likes this
- jessemarquez likes this
- pjstein likes this
- soulandsense likes this
- analogdestroy reblogged this from nomnompaleo and added:
- janlo likes this
- christopherdugan likes this
- imaginaryaviary likes this
- lc214 likes this
- tashastumblr likes this
- rohrfam likes this
- kinitaicho likes this
- crossfitslu reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- waitingontherapture likes this
- kasanova25 likes this
- kasanova25 reblogged this from chels-e-lately
- chels-e-lately reblogged this from nomnompaleo and added:
- --anatomas reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- iamthederpasaurus likes this
- mizqueenie likes this
- circus212 likes this
- jennnbunny likes this
- paleotastic reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- franklinjackson likes this
- onirematir likes this
- michaelocoyne likes this
- itsglitz likes this
- warrenoates likes this
- candicodeit reblogged this from nomnompaleo and added:
- nomnompaleo posted this